Be Still My Soul

Today in sacrament meeting, a lady sang one of my favorite hymns,
Be Still My Soul. I love this song and she sang it beautifully.

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change; He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy Heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord.
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

I have been singing this song for many, many years and today
the line that inspired me was in the second verse where it says
"Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake to guide the future
as He has the past." I love this! I love that it says,
"Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake; all now mysterious
shall be bright at last."

This song spoke right to my heart today!

So often, when I do something, even though I know that it is good,
my confidence shakes. I second guess myself. I need to have more
confidence in myself, but sometimes...

I wonder... is this what Heavenly Father wants me to do?
Did I do it in a pleasing way?
Why does He want me to do this?

All now mysterious shall be bright at last!

I love that He undertakes to guide the future as He has the past.
I need to have confidence in Him and His plan for me and Dan.
He has never lead me astray before, why would He now?
If you've felt inspired or uplifted by a hymn or poem please share.

Love, Em

P.S. I appreciate and love your comments and reading your blogs because
it uplifts me so much! Thanks for being such great blogging buddies! I love you guys!

Comments

  1. Oh Emily..I love this song too! I'm so glad it brought you a little peace.

    We love you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "How Firm a Foundation"- the line
    When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
    the rivers of sorrow shall not thee o'er flow

    I'm such a worrier sometimes, and this doesn't say "everything's going to be perfect" but admits what I've suspected all along: difficult, scary, challenging things are going to happen in life. But since they won't be more than you can bear with God strengthening you, it helps me breathe a little sigh of relief.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts