What I am doing to be more racially aware

Hello friends,

I know that a lot of us are feeling a bit overwhelmed with to-do lists for the new year. I just thought that I would let you know what I am doing to be more racially aware and challenge you to do some of the things on my list. As I have been learning about racial issues, I am constantly realizing that I still have so much to learn. Please let me know if you choose to do something on this list or if you are doing something else. I would love to hear from you!

Working with Sophie's school and school District to implement Black History Month in schools. 


Look for a post about this soon! I am part of a group called Children's Equity League. We have been working for months on developing letters, lesson plans, an art show and parent night for Black History Month. I am hoping to get a new blog post about that soon!!! 



This is a workbook that helps us white folks learn about the implicit bias we have and how we can be better allies to people of color. I really hope that this post may encourage my friends to take time to do this work book and work through bias. 



Books I am reading/listening to: 



I chose this as my free book from Alexa. So the author, Beverly Daniel Tatum is reading it to me. I highly recommend this book. I read (skimmed) the first one she wrote in college and I wish that I had put more effort into learning about race those 15 years ago. This book is giving me facts about why the racial climate in the U.S is so problematic right now. Dr. Tatum does such a great job of listing facts and not so much opinions about the trials people of color face. If you are someone who thinks that everything is hunky dory for everyone, please read this book. 

Like mentioned above, I am learning about The Great Migration. This book is based on true stories of people who were apart of The Great Migration. Wilkerson does such a wonderful job of bringing true stories to life. If you do want to read this book, let me know because I am doing a facebook and real life book club about this book for the month of February. 


Again, let me know if you choose to do any of things! I would love to hear from you!!!

Much Love, 
Em



Comments

Popular Posts